Friday, April 13, 2007

Catch Yourself a Bridal Bouquet: Tips from a Pro

Let the record show that on March 3, 2007 following the nupitals of Lance Atchison and Debra Reymundo, I caught the bridal bouquet. This was not the first bouquet that I’ve caught. Nor was it the second, third or fourth. It wasn’t even the fifth, sixth or seventh. It honestly, truly was. . . Bouquet #8. In lieu of a drum roll, please hum the Wedding March.

My career as a bouquet catcher was launched summer of ‘68 when Carol Gregory heaved a massive confection of daisies and mums over her shoulder. In the years that followed, my career blossomed, so to speak, through the weddings of those older than me, my peers and now. . . at the weddings those considerably younger. Reflecting on such a career I realize that failing to pass along my strategies would be a disservice to the next generation. Indeed, the time has come to spill the beans.

Now, for the first time, I share my top tips on getting that bouquet: Think location, location, location. Position yourself front row, center. Be prepared to leap right or left, high or wide. Usually the bride will throw the bouquet up into a high arc. During the descent, you’ll have time to reposition yourself for the grab. Diving for the bouquet is acceptable but do make every effort to land on your feet. The alternative is somewhat less becoming.

Next, analyze the competition. Ever so casually, glean information as to the intent of the competition. Most often they will be giggly self consciously and claiming disinterest. But don’t be fooled. Under no circumstances should you mention your intentions. Or your successes in the field. There are those who – once they catch a whiff of competition – become fierce opponents. Take it from me, a wedding reception is neither the time nor the place for a slug fest. For one thing, it scares potential suitors. And then there’s the issue of the photographer with camera ready. But I digress. Bottom line: ears open, lips sealed.

Those two tips are simple but they have served me through five decades of bouquet catchery. Come to think of it, catching a bridal bouquet is considerably easier than catching a spouse. Perhaps someone else will tell us how to Google for a groom.


Above: With David Woodward and Bouquet #8

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful writing! I've only ever caught one – of each.

Eileen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Debra Reymundo Atchison said...

And what a beautiful job you did catching that bouquet! I'm so glad you were able to be at our wedding! You are such a joy as was reading your tips! :-)